Mile Oak Memories

This view of Mile Oak was taken in the mid 1930’s and was taken from the south of Chalky Road looking north. Beechers Road is to the left, Stanley Avenue to the right.

The houses are shown in Sefton Road and in the distance the waterworks chimney. None of the roads have been made up at this time.

This view looking north up Stanley Avenue was also taken in the mid 1930’s. This picture was taken from approximately opposite the church (Tin Hut).

The last bungalow on the left in the distance was occupied by Miss Palmer for many years. All these bungalows were built on the Paddocks estate. 

Chrisdory Road had not been constructed at this time.

The original Mile Oak that we all remember comprised CHRISDORY ROAD to the north, STANLEY AVENUE to the east, MILE OAK ROAD to the west and what is now CHALKY ROAD to the south with SEFTON ROAD, BEECERS ROAD and FOXHUNTERS in between.

You will note from the map that the original ‘village’ of Mile Oak was built within an area that included the Paddocks and the fields to the east.

View of Mile Oak from Southwick Hill. The reservoir is top centre, the chimney of the waterworks is on the far left. It is assumed that the buildings in the foreground form part of what was Wrappsons Nursery.

This is view we will remember, the shops of Mile Oak. Remember the post sign in front of Mr Coombs shop advertising the Whitbreads Off Licence, the patches of grass in front of Mr Figgins greengrocers shop and the fish shop and the two steps down to the further two shops.

A Rogation Sunday church  procession  travelling up Chalky Road at a time when the word ‘chalky’ was relevant.  The girls school is in the background.

Regrettably the photograph is not good quality.

Looking down Stanley Avenue with Southwick Hill in the background. Pat Bunting lived in the bungalow on the left just by the drive after the lamp post and Mr Hall on the right.

Picture of Mile Oak again from Southwick Hill, the field in which the horse is grazing is the very area where we used to hold those magnificent bonfires.  Mr Butcher’s garage/workshop is to the left of the picture and the Mile Oak Inn on the right.  The area is shown fenced off but in those far off days there was no fence but only ruins of the disused Pickle Factory.

End of the shops and what is left of the Paddocks – about 1935.

Similar view but this time with the new council houses. – photograph about 1977

Mile Oak Inn    -Constructed in the mid 1950’s  

One of it’s better known landlords was Bobby Lee a Brighton Tigers Ice hockey player 

Entry in the Evening Argus 13th December 1949

This picture shows the sorry state of the Kanes bungalow after the disastrous  fire

This picture shows the last two bungalows in Mile Oak Road with the first shop and beyond that the buildings of the Paddocks.  It would appear from this photograph that the shops were built in stages.

Christmas showing the Cother family in their front garden, from left to right Mr Cother, Bonny, Mr Ward as Father Christmas, Mrs Cother, Paddy, John and Fred Patching as the Indian. It is understood that during their rounds both Santa and the Indian had many a tot in order to keep them warm inside

The Cother residence as Bonny says was always sadly in need of a touch up. The lawns always needed cutting with shears unless they could borrow Mr Baker’s lawn mower. Their grandfather landscaped the garden, there was lavender by the front door, rosemary and thyme, also an ornamental cherry tree and a almond tree.

The following web site gives information about 

Mr Cother during WWII Cother.htm

Some may wish to visit this web site to find out about their parents

The car is one Mr Cother brought back from Southampton and was parked outside their house. It caused a tight turn into Beechers from Sefton (also it was a blind turn as the Last family had a huge green hedge that blocked the view) it meant that the bumper on Dad’s car could be dented. Luckily as I recall at that time there were only two other people in Beechers who had cars, they were the Misses Fox and Mosey. Our neighbours had a little Model T Ford which was light enough to be picked up. (This actually happened at Portslade Station where one of the tyres was caught in the railway track) the other person with a car was Mr Cheal who lived with his two daughters.

Party celebration the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 – you will notice that the winner of this race was Pat – she had longer legs than the others – unfair competition.

We believe this is a photograph taken when celebrating the Coronation in 1953 and is taken from Sefton Road looking down Beechers Road.  Do you know anyone in the photograph – if so please let us know.